Rip rap was added to the banks of the re-aligned roadway and bridge to prevent further erosion.
Freewoods Road Bridge Replacement
Homochitto National Forest · Mississippi · Franklin County
The completed bridge.
As State Aid engineer for Franklin County, WGK, Inc. was tasked with the design and construction administration of this Local System Bridge Program project to replace a very old, failing timber bridge on Freewoods Road, a gravel access road that runs deep into the Homochitto National Forest in the southwest portion of the county. The 76-foot timber bridge, which was being eroded by the tributary it crossed, was removed and replaced with a 120-foot pecast concrete bridge that stands three feet higher. The roadway was also slightly realigned to straighten out a potentially dangerous curve.
- Removal of existing timber bridge and excavation.
- Installation of 74 linear feet of reinforced concrete pipe.
- Installation of 760 linear feet of prestressed concrete piling.
- Installation of 24 40-foot precast concrete slab units.
- Installation of 4 31-foot precast concrete caps.
- Installation of 468 tons of riprap and geotextile mat-ting.
- Total Project Cost: $348,000