Workers bolt together a section of 8-inch PVC water main.
Highway 471 Water Line Relocation
Brandon, Mississippi · Rankin County
A worker tells the trackhoe where to go as he balances on a section of 8-inch PVC water main.
A large section of 8-inch PVC water main is pushed into place.
With steady and commercial and residential growth in the Flowood and Brandon areas east of Jackson weighing heavily on local traffic conditions, the Mississippi Department of Transportation has undertaken a project to widen Highway 471, which connects the two suburbs by tying into Interstate 20 and Highway 25. The rights-of-way for the widening project, however, put one of the Langford Water Association's main water distribution lines into the highway department's work zone, requiring the entire line to be moved. The association asked WGK, Inc. to design a project to relocate this major water line in advance of highway construction.
- Disconnection and abandonment of portions of existing line.
- Installation of 10,300 linear feet of 8-inch PVC water main.
- Installation of 4,800 linear feet of 6-inch PVC water main.
- Installation of 880 linear feet of water service line.
- Installation of 24 gate valves, 42 meters and 26 fire hydrants.
- Total Project Cost: $375,000