A manhole is lowered in place.
Morton CDBG Highway 80 Sewer Expansion
Morton, Mississippi · Scott County
The need for improved sanitary sewer services grew as the City of Morton expanded during the late 1990s and early 2000s, and city leaders doggedly pursued an extension of city sewer services to unsewered areas. A recent annexation absorbed a densely populated low-to-moderate income neighborhood dependant on old and overflowing septic tanks. Leaking raw sewage in the area made groundwater contamination and other environmental issues a growing threat. The eliminate the septic systems and better serve the numerous residences and a church in the neighborhood along Highway 80, the city directed WGK, Inc., to design a new sewer extension and rehabilitate portions of the existing system.
- Installation of 220 linear feet of steel and PVC casing.
- Installation of 2,929 linear feet of 8-inch gravity sewer piping.
- Installation of 2,040 linear feet of 6-inch service piping.
- Installation of 12 48-inch manholes.
- Construction of 48-inch fiberglass grinder pump station.
- Construction of 225 GPM pump station.
- Decommission and conversion of existing pump station into a manhole.
- Installation of 2,314 linear feet of 2– and 4-inch Class 160 force main.
- Connection to existing system.
- Street and parking lot repairs.
- Total Estimated Project Cost: $282,000.