The Hazlehurst CDBG Sewer Replacement and Rehabilitation project required construction crews to work in some wild areas.
Hazlehurst CDBG Sewer Replacement and Rehabilitation
Hazlehurst , Mississippi · Copiah County
Workers connect sewer force main to a pair of manholes.
A worker pulls down a sewer force main for connection to a manhole.
By 2008, the City of Hazlehurst’s sanitary sewer system was in need of a complete rehabilitation, with its old clay tile and concrete pipes cracking and collapsing, triggering inflow and infiltration, clogged lines and backups and overflows into neighborhoods and homes. The failures were endangering the health and welfare of the community by spreading harmful bacteria. WGK, Inc., designed a project to replace segments of the clay tile and concrete pipe network with modern PVC piping and fixtures, rehabilitate manholes to reduce I&I, relocate the trunk line and repair service connections.
- Erosion control over 3-acre site.
- Installation of more than 1,800 linear feet of PVC sewer lines.
- Inspection and rehabilitation of more than 7,500 linear feet of sewer lines.
- Normal cleaning of more than 3,800 linear feet of sewer lines.
- Replacement of 12 manholes.
- Rehabilitation of 20 manholes.
- Elevation of 7 manholes.
- Total Project Cost: $342,500.