Workers prepare to fit a section of the 433 linear-foot precast concrete box culvert into position in the spring of 2007 as pear trees bloom overhead.
Hinds Community College Drainage Structure Replacement
Raymond, Mississippi · Hinds County
More pieces of the precast puzzle are lowered into place using a crane.
Almost completed, the long concrete box is ready to be fitted with junction boxes.
In 2006, Hinds Community College personnel begin to notice some unsettling settling in one of the main campus parking lots. A long, corrugated metal drainage pipe beneath the parking lot had rusted and collapsed, causing the pavement to sink in. The college called upon WGK, Inc. to design a project to excavate the bad pipe and replace it with a structure that could hold up to the weight of the parking lot overhead—a precast concrete culvert and was installed in sections and the parking lot repaired.
- Excavation and removal of existing failed corrugated metal drainage pipe.
- Installation of 433 linear-foot, 8-foot by 6-foot precast concrete box culvert.
- Curb, asphalt and striping repair.
- Installation of concrete collars.
- Total Project Cost: $340,300.