NRCS-EWP Utility Protection
Clinton, Mississippi · Hinds County
A large rain even created multiple trouble-spots for the City of Clinton. On Old Vicksburg Road, sudden ditch erosion near a bridge was threatening a major municipal water line, while a site near a wastewater treatment plant experienced such rapid storm water flow that the a large sewer main was becoming exposed. Another gravity sewer line was being threatened by slope destabilization at a third site. As city engineer for Clinton, WGK, Inc. designed a project through the NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection Program (EWP) to repair and reinforce all threatened areas across the city.
- Clearing and removal of all failed drainage structures.
- Installation of 900 square yards of geotextile matting.
- Installation of 800 tons of rip-rap.
- Installation of 620 linear feet of various-sized reinforced concrete pipe.
- Construction of a 4' x 4' drop inlet, two 8' x 6' junction boxes, a 10' x 12' poured-in-place junction box and erosion control and resodding over all sites.
- Total Project Cost: $116,000.